Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Thus it begins

So here's the start of my next major project... I got this landcruiser from my friend David who needed some help installing some parts on his nicer FJ40.

Notice the cool camo job and homemade safari seat and soft top frame. These will have to go. Overall the body is in I believe useable condition, but there's definitely going to be some metal that needs to be replaced. Fortunately, I can't find any Bondo on this body, so there won't be too much hidden rust. (I hope!)

What I'm missing is most everything under the hood other than the radiator and the engine block itself. This shouldn't be a problem, as I wasn't planning on using the engine anyways.


Pulling it into the shop with the tractor. It'll probbably be in the shop for the next year or so. The goal is to put a small diesel engine in it, most likely a Cummins 4bt. This engine is commonly found in everything from Frito Lay Delivery Trucks to construction equipment. This may change as the project unfolds, but the reliability of the Cummins, plus the efficiency (With one, a Frito Lay Truck can get 20+ MPG and people who have done similar swaps claim mileage in the high 20's) are very appealing.

Today I stripped the Safari seat and Top frame off with the sawzall.


Looking better already. The Roll Bar has to go too, as it's sitting on top of some 6x4" square tube and just welded to the sheetmetal. Would you trust your life to this?


That should come off in the next day or two. Then begins the arduous process of cleaning, replacing rusted out sheetmetal, and preparing for paint. I'll remove the body from the frame so I can give it the same treatment.

Tune in for more updates as it progresses.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anslie said...

Hey Tim it's Anslie Anthony's wife he showed me to new old truck I can't wait to see it finished. I'll check back soon to see the updates.

Anslie

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home