Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Passenger Rocker Panel Replacement

Both Rocker Panels on this tub are completely rotted out, so I started today on replacing them. The rot was concentrated in the rockers because the previous owner had installed Aluminum Diamond Plate here, likely to cover up some slight rust. Unfortunately, this method of "repair" acutally makes the rot get even worse. I had a sheet of 11ga left over from another project, so I decided to use this. Thicker steel in the rocker panels surely won't hurt. Today I got the Passenger side panel installed. First I removed the old rocker panel.



Next, with the opening size determined, I fabricated my replacement. To bend the 11ga, I cut a V groove almost all of the way through the steel on the back side. Then, using a hammer and a bench vice I bent the steel at the groove. Finally I laid a few 1" beads of weld to hold the bend from the backside and welded up the corners. Here's a back view of the finished product:



Next, I clamped and tacked the replacement into place for welding. It's a pretty good fit. The gap between the panel and the underside of the doorsill will weld up easily. Here's the panel tacked into place.

Finally, I welded the whole thing in, except for the front and rear edges, which are bolted in the original tub. I'll bolt these in like factory. I welded the panels in small segments so as to not warp the panels. These panels aren't too likely to warp much because of theturned under edge on the bottom and the thickness.

A little grinding and a skim coat of body filler should have these looking like new. Next up, Drivers side rocker!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking good...sure beats the price I paid for the rust buckets. I think you had this on your mind when you convinced me to buy the FJ40. Hurry and get the thing running so I can get my 4 cyl diesel...

Have a good one,
David

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David -
Panel replacement of this magnitude is only for those with more time than $$$ hahaha... I'll be replacing panels for a while so I can save money for the Transmission....

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Rust-O-Rama said...

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

Jeep Frame Welding

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home