Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Steering Box and Front Bumper

I've made a little progress in the steering gear department the last few weeks. First, I welded in a scab plate on the passenger side to help stiffen up the front frame for the new saginaw power steering. This plate is 3/16" steel and should help stiffen things up.
Next, I set about mounting the power steering box to the frame on the drivers side. I made a 1/4" plate to mount the box to and welded it to the frame. Then I used stacks of washers to mount the box ears to the plate. I drilled through the frame and the plate with a 1/2" drill and then bolted it on with the washers in place. With the box in place, I welded the washers together. This may not be the prettiest way to do it, but it will be very strong. I also cut a recess into the front crossmember to recess the steering box into the frame. Here it is with the box mounted up. The steering box is a remanufactured box for a 1968 Chevy Impala. This box is a 4 bolt box with 4.5 turns from lock to lock, and is the most often used saginaw box for power steering conversions.

Finally, I welded on my new front bumper. It's about 42" of C5 channel. I decided to weld it on to help stiffen up the front end since I had to cut the front crossmember for the steering box. I'll clean and paint when I clean and paint the frame. Here's a pic from behind of the bumper.


That's all for this segment, stay tuned for the engine donor....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home