Monday, September 18, 2006

Out with the Motor

Today I used my nifty new engine crane to remove the engine, transmission, and transfercase. The only part of this that I'm planning on saving is the transfer case, because I want to keep the stock Offset differential rear end.

Also, I removed the rear axle. It'll get re-installed, with some sort of disk brake conversion. I HATE Drum brakes, so they're outta here. Today I also bought a toyota mini truck (1983) front axle from my new favorite junkyard, www.bakertruckparts.com They were really friendly and had some great stuff. Best of all is that they only have trucks, SUVs, and 4x4s, so I don't have to sift through Pintos to find what I need. the new front end will make the front disks a snap.


Here's a shot from the front, you can see where I cut out the stock front bumper to get the engine crane closer to where it needed to be. The stock bumper was beat to heck anyways, and had to be cut off because someone along the way decided that the only way to keep it on there was to weld it. Yuck!


Tomorrow morning I'm going to pick up the new front axle, then get ready for a vacation to do some kayaking in WV, Wed-Sun, so no progress for a week or so...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home