Thursday, September 28, 2006

A week of frame work

I stripped all of the unneccessary brackets off of the frame for the engine swap. Removed were the steering box mount (going to saginaw PS), Engine Mounts, and Transmission Mounts. All of these were riveted to the frame, so I ground off the heads and pounded them out. I also ground off the remains of the rear sill repair that was welded to the frame.
Now to go about fixing a few bad spots on the frame. First, There's a spot where It looks like someone pulled the truck by the center of the rear frame cross member with a hook.


This spot is too bent to be straitened with the hammer, so I'll cut out a chunk and weld in some new steel.

The 0ffending chunk removed...

And the patch installed.... Now on to the front crossmember. The bottom of the front crossmember had some rotten area along the back edge. I decided to replace the whole bottom of this crossmember with new steel. Here's the patch from the underside of the frame. Lastly, I got the wheels, tires, springs, shocks, and old knuckles stripped off of the Land Cruiser Front Axle. The plan going forward is to rebuild the axles, Finish cleaning, repairing, and painting the frame, and set the axles under the frame with the stock leaf springs in the stock spring-under setup. If I need more lift to clear the oil pan of the new engine, I'll change that then. That's all for this week!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work. Good to see another cruiser in the upstate.

Marshall Shepherd
President Upstate Cruisers

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home